Monday, May 3, 2010

Huckleberry Cobbler

I've always been hesitant about cooking with rhubarb. I'm such a chocoholic, normally if I'm going to make a dessert, I'll avoid something that looks like red celery. Until this happened.
If you've never cooked with rhubarb or think you don't like it, this is soo easy and delicious I swear it will convert you. My sister who doesn't even like fruit loved this cobbler. And rhubarb is in season and fun to say, so you should try this!
I got this recipe from a lady in Dillingham, Alaska- since huckleberries aren't abundant here in Utah I decided blueberries+blackberries= huckleberries. :)
                                                                          

HUCKLEBERRY COBBLER
5 C rhubarb, chopped in 3/4" pieces
2 C huckleberries (or 1 pkg blueberries + 1 pkg blackberries)
1 large pkg strawberry jello (sugar free works great)
1 C sugar
1 C water
1 white cake mix
½ C melted butter
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Combine rhubarb, huckleberries, jello, sugar and water. Add a little cornstarch if too thin. Place in a baking dish and top with cake mix (you may not need it all). Pour melted butter over the top and bake at 350° for 30 min or until golden. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream and everyone will love you, I promise. :)

*I guess rhurarb can be a bit hard to find, I got mine at The Store. I think I'm going to grow my own next year!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah rhurarb scares me a bit but i think i should try it. this looks delicious. i always to go the store for all my favorite specialty items!

wuxiheather said...

What the heck is "The Store"? I love reading your blog and even tried my hand at my first ever banana bread with your recipe minus the chocolate chips cause (call me crazy but...) I don't particularly like chocolate. Mike LOVED it and my mom said it was the moistest and best banana bread she'd ever tasted! :) My mom was never much of a "from scratch" chef--she made great meals but they were all semi-homemade so it's so "different" for me to be making things like banana bread. It was so simple. I've always imagined people who make stuff like that to be SO domestic! I love cooking, it's one of my favorite things, and because EVERYTHING is new to me it's really exciting! Thanks for the great recipes and ideas! I cannot wait to try your mac and cheese. I guess you could say I am a "Carb Lovin' Monkey"!

Katie Hagen said...

heather, that seriously makes me so happy. i feel bad for you that you don't like chocolate, but i'm happy you could still enjoy banana bread!
the store is a grocery store, by that name, located throughout the valley. i don't shop there much cause it's more expensive, but they always have interesting things!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails