Thursday, June 10, 2010

Breakfast Burrito

Brad challenged me to make dinner for 2 people and I almost did it yesterday! I don't know exactly why that's so hard for me. Maybe because its easier to cook for 4 and then we can have the leftovers the next day for our lunches. Problem is lunch portions should really be smaller, and Brad tends to eat a bit more than 1 portion at dinner so I never know quite how much to make.  I think of that when I pull out some giant hunk of meat from the freezer and somehow decide it makes sense to just cook it all...

Anyways, I love making breakfast burritos! They make a great weeknight dinner or special breakfast. I assume my version is a bit healthier than Beto's... (they use deep fried french fries and are a bit greasier)

BREAKFAST BURRITOS
1 C hashbrowns (or 1 potato cut into julienne strips with this amazing tool)
4 beaten eggs, + 2 Tbs milk
1/3 16 oz pkg chorizo
5 strips bacon
1/4 onion, chopped (or 1 tsp onion powder)
1/2 C sharp cheddar cheese
salt/pepper to taste
tortillas, salsa, sour cream
Cut bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan. Once cooked, set bacon aside onto a paper towel and drain some of the oil from the pan. Add chorizo to the same pan and fry until slightly browned.  Add onion and hashbrowns and only turn around periodically so they have a chace to brown, add salt/pepper and a little olive oil if needed. (I've also cooked the potatoes in the oven just like I do for oven fries only cut ito juliene strips.  Once the potatoes are cooked add eggs to the pan and stir, when the eggs are almost done return bacon to the pan and add cheese unil just melted. Spoon into warm tortillas and top with salsa and sour cream, or ketchup.

I folded mine into a cute little burrito, Brad's was too overstuffed for that!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails