Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chicken Chawarma and Greek-ish Salad

So I've been staying at my parents a bit while Brad is out of town. They are trying to eat healthy so I made them this yummy, healthy chicken chawarma that I normally put in pita bread, but I made it into a salad for them. I made up this recipe trying to copy the yummy chicken chawarma pita sandwiches we ate in Morocco. I'll admit this isn't really like that chicken thats roasted on a pit outside, but it's still pretty dang good and it's got all the yummy spices. It smells lovely while it bakes!

CHICKEN CHAWARMA
4-6 chicken breasts
1/4 C white vinegar
1/4 C plain yogurt (I use fat free)
1 Tbs olive oil
1/4-1/2 tsp each: cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, paprika
a large pinch of each: cumin, allspice, cloves, nutmeg
garlic salt/pepper as desired
In a baking dish mix vinegar, yogurt, 1 Tbs oil, spices, salt and pepper. Add chicken, let marinate at least 2 hrs. Bake chicken in marinade at 350° for 30 min. Slice cooked chicken into thin strips, or keep as a whole breast on the side of the salad.

GREEK-ISH DRESSING
1/4 C tahini/sesame paste (if you don't have this for making hummus, I'd just leave it out)
1/4 C olive oil
1/3 C plain yogurt
2-3 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
2 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1/4-1/2 tsp dried oregano
a large pinch sugar
1 tsp garlic salt/ pepper to taste
Just whip these all together and you're good to go, keep it cold in the fridge.

FOR THE SALAD:
spring lettuce
diced tomato
thin sliced red onion
thin sliced cucumbers
feta cheese
Arrange veggies on a plate, drizzle with the dressing and top with feta cheese. Serve warm chicken chawarma on the side. (or on top like my mom's plate in the pic) :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails